Independent Midwifery Services.
“Birth Matters… It matters because it is the way we all begin our lives outside of our source, our mother’s bodies. It’s the means from which we enter and feel our first impression of the wider world. For each mother, it is an event that shakes and shapes her to her innermost core. Women’s perceptions about their bodies and their babies’ capabilities will be deeply influenced by the care they receive around the time of birth.” ~ Ina May Gaskin
My Birth Philosophy.
Pregnancy and birth are powerful and life changing events. My aim is to help my clients in enjoying this transition by providing a supportive, informative and individualized service.
I believe that maternity care needs to be flexible and appropriate to each individual woman and her family.
My services include full antenatal care, 24 hour on call from 37 weeks and attendance at your birth and then postnatal care until 4-6 weeks after your baby has been born.
As a holistic practitioner I will assess you and your baby’s physical and emotional well being throughout pregnancy, birth and beyond, as I work with the needs of you and your family.
I work alongside many alternative health practitioners who specialize in childbearing.
I provide approximately 10 unhurried antenatal visits in your own home. Usually lasting about an hour as we get to know and trust each other.
Full information about benefits and risks of the many aspects of maternity care will be explored enabling you to make informed choices regarding your care. I will arrange for any tests and screening if you require any. I have books, articles and videos/DVDs available to lend to clients.
I have experience of home birth, water birth, twin home birth, vaginal birth after caesarean section (VBAC/HBAC) and breech birth amongst many other pregnancies and births. I have spent all of my midwifery career promoting normality and have attended hundreds of births without the need for medical intervention.
I provide daily visits at first, reducing them as less support is needed and the confidence of the parents grows. I will visit until 6 weeks post birth. All clients receive a copy of all their pregnancy, birth and postnatal notes to keep after the final visit. I offer expert breastfeeding support to all clients as required.
2014 Fee List.
I charge £3800 for a complete maternity care package which includes:
- Initial consultation: 1-2 hours in your home where I explain how I work and answer your questions. £50 on it’s own but goes towards total fee
- Booking visit: 2-2.5 hours where we go through your medical/obstetric history in detail and start to fill out the notes.
- Personalised maternity notes, a copy to keep and treasure
- Easy access to known midwives during antenatal period
- Dedicated pager system to ensure prompt contact
- Antenatal visits: usually take 45min to 1 hour in your home, as many as clinically needed. Rough guide- monthly until 30 weeks, 33 weeks, fortnightly until 38 weeks, weekly until 42 weeks and twice a week until birth
- Loan of books, videos, dvds as needed (e.g. hypnotherapy CDs)
- I will liaise with other health professionals as necessary such as your GP, Health Visitor (HV), Supervisor of midwives, Obstetrician. I routinely write to the above (with your permission) to let them know I am looking after you, notify the birth and postnatal discharge
- Visit with back up midwife- AN visit with a back up midwife who will also be on call for you should I be at another birth or have illness etc.
- Birth: on call from 37 weeks 24 hours a day 7 days a week
- Access to maternal massage in labour
- Disposable sterile single use equipment and emergency drugs for your safety and peace of mind
- Provision of portable entonox (Gas & air) limited supply (to be discussed)
- Midwifery equipment for home birth such as disposable delivery pack, gloves etc.
- Safe, professional disposal of clinical waste
- Back up midwife fees
- I stay with you during labour, transfer to hospital if chosen, and after the birth for about 2-3 hours
- Breast feeding support including best beginnings DVD
- One to one postnatal care
- Easy access to a known midwife during the postnatal period
- Post natal visits as needed. Usually daily at first, then less as your confidence grows e.g. day 1,2,3,5,7,10,14,21,28
- Maternal and baby checks including neo-natal screening (heel prick test), Frenulotomy (tongue tie release) if necessary
- At about 6 weeks post natal I will then bring or send a copy of your notes for you to keep
- Ongoing invitations to hosted social events
- Full body Massage available at discounted rates
I ask for a £750 non-refundable deposit at booking when a payment plan can be discussed and arranged. I usually expect the balance to be paid by your 36th week however in extenuating circumstances this can be negotiated to be extended. I offer a £100 discount for payment in full at the booking visit. I also welcome alternative methods of payment such as barter.
Birth pool: I have 2 birth pools which I loan out for £50 rental which includes a disposable liner worth £25
Tens machine: You pay £10 rental to cover cost of disposable pads, replacement batteries etc.
Discount if you travel to me for majority of your antenatal care- please ask for details